Insightsstream of knowledge
Join Anchin for our twelfth annual State of the Construction Industry event on Tuesday, September 26, 2017. Read More
Amendments have been made to the Tax Law that will extend tax incentive opportunities for businesses that locate or relocate offices in lower Manhattan. Read More
- Arbitration Panel Did Not Exceed Authority9/14/2017
It is very difficult to have an arbitrator’s decision and award vacated. There are only a few circumstances in which a court will vacate an arbitrator’s decision and award. One of those circumstances is when the arbitrator or the arbitration panel exceeds authority.
- Wine, Art, Cars: Alternative Luxury Investments9/14/2017
Partner Russell Shinsky advises on boat ownership regarding depreciation, sales tax and mortgage interest deductibility.
- Tax Relief for Hurricane Victims9/14/2017
Taxpayers in Florida, Texas, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico that have been impacted by Hurricane Harvey and Hurricane Irma have been granted relief from the IRS.
- Large Equifax Cybersecurity Breach Could Affect 143 Million People – Are You One Of Them?9/11/2017
Last week, Equifax announced a large cybersecurity breach that compromised personal information of up to 143 million Americans. The breach, which occurred between mid-May and July was discovered in late July.
- Tax-advantaged ways grandparents can give to grandchildren9/10/2017
Jane Bernardini, Partner and member of Anchin Private Client, shares some tips on tax advantages for grandparents providing support for future generations.
- Tax Court Refuses to Follow Rev. Rul. 91-32 in Grecian Magnesite Mining Decision8/23/2017
In a recent decision, the U.S. Tax Court refused to accord deference to an Internal Revenue Service (IRS) administrative ruling treating the sale of partnership interests as a sale of assets the partnership uses in a U.S. trade or business, thereby subjecting the resulting gain to taxation as income effectively connected to a U.S. trade or business.
- Donating Art and Collectibles - A Discussion of Important Factors8/22/2017
As opposed to selling art, which results in capital gains tax, or keeping art in the family, which may result in estate or gift taxes, donating art will bring a federal and possibly a state tax deduction.
- Alternatives to a Prenuptial Agreement8/22/2017
In this day and age when the divorce rate is trending up, one can never be too prepared. In the absence of certainty, planning for the unknown and learning your options are the next best thing.
- How Grandparents Can Care For Future Generations in a Tax-Advantaged Way8/22/2017
Grandparents that provide financial support for their grandchildren should be aware that there are certain tax advantages available to them.
- Maximizing Your Inheritance Value8/21/2017
Robert Gilman, Co-Practice Leader of Anchin's Real Estate Group, explains how to determine the best assets to transfer, the potential tax liability and the possibilities for discounts greater than what you might have otherwise expected to pay.