E. Richard Baum
A certified public accountant and attorney, Richard brings a unique perspective and expertise to his clients at Anchin. For more than 30 years, Richard has provided clients with a full range of planning and reporting services in the fiduciary area, including estate planning, estate administration, preparation of estate and gift tax returns, fiduciary income tax returns, qualified retirement plan distribution planning, and split-interest gift and charitable planning. A member of the Firm’s Tax Department, Richard also serves on the Steering Committee of the Private Client Group.
Richard is a frequent speaker on trust and estate topics and has authored articles on a variety of subjects. He has published work in the New York Law Journal, Taxation for Lawyers, and Taxation for Accountants and has been profiled in the Private Asset Management Newsletter. Richard writes for the Firm’s alerts and newsletters while also providing numerous continuing education programs to members of Anchin’s professional staff. Additionally, he is a frequent presenter on Anchin webinars relating to tax law and its impact on high net worth individuals.
Richard is a member of the Trusts and Estates Section of the New York Bar Association and of the New York City Estate Planning Council. In addition to his public accounting certification and admission to the Bar, Richard is also a licensed life and health insurance provider. He is a member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) and the New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants (NYSSCPA).
- Family Office Support and Business Management
- Private Client
- Tax Planning and Compliance
- Trusts and Estates
- Tax Cuts and Jobs Act: Key Provisions Affecting Estate PlanningJanuary 8, 2018
The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 (TCJA) is a sweeping revision of the tax code that alters federal law affecting individuals, businesses and estates. Focusing specifically on estate tax law, the TCJA doesn’t repeal the federal gift and estate tax. It does, however, temporarily double the combined gift and estate tax exemption and the generation-skipping transfer (GST) tax exemption.
- House Bill Repeal Of GST Would Defuse A Ticking Time Bomb For Trust Fund KidsNovember 13, 2017
Tax Partner E. Richard Baum shares his observations on non-skip beneficiaries.
- The Value of Life Insurance if Trump Repeals the Federal Estate TaxDecember 19, 2016
A few things to consider before making any hasty cancelation decisions
- Structuring Life Insurance Correctly to Fit into a Buy-Sell AgreementAugust 31, 2016
How it can protect the business and the family
- Thinking About “Death” Can Improve Quality of LifeJune 1, 2016
Estate planning is critical to generational wealth transfer and preservation strategies.
- 5 Boomer Tax Traps to AvoidApril 6, 2016
E. Richard Baum, Tax Partner, touches base on various tax traps for baby boomers such as taxes on municipal bonds, the required minimum distribution and the income level for social security taxability.
- Why Your Spouse Should Be at the Center of Your Estate PlanningMay 27, 2015
If you’re wondering who’s going to make sure your wishes are met after you die, your spouse is likely the first person you should consider.
- Estate planning: How to leave IRA to heirsMarch 5, 2015
No one would accuse IRAs of being easy to understand. The retirement accounts seem fairly straightforward on the surface, but they can get complicated, especially after you die.
- WEBINAR - A Wake Up Call: Some of the Eye-Opening and Under-Publicized Impacts of the TCJAFebruary 27, 2018
How will this complex tax bill affect affluent individuals and their families? Anchin Private Client has assembled a panel of professionals to discuss some of the most impactful changes, share insight on common misconceptions and misunderstandings uncovered in our conversations with clients and contacts, and address questions from attendees.
- Valuation Discounts: Opportunities for Privately Held BusinessesJune 6, 2017
Anchin Tax Partner E. Richard Baum discusses valuation discounts and how older generations may gift interest in a business to the next generation at less than the full value through buy-sell agreements and cross-purchase agreements funded using life insurance.
- Gifting: How to Leverage 529 Education PlansJune 6, 2017
Anchin Partner E. Richard Baum discusses leveraging 529 education accounts, gift tax annual exclusions, gift maximums, the tax benefits of gifting in advance, and other important considerations.
- The Impact of a Potential Repeal of the Federal Estate TaxMay 22, 2017
Anchin Partner E. Richard Baum discusses the role of life insurance in planning for the federal estate tax and explores the potential repercussions, should these
- Understanding Lifetime TrustsFebruary 17, 2016
Anchin, Block & Anchin LLP Partner Richard Baum discusses what advisers and clients need to know about lifetime trusts and why they've become more popular with Veronica
- Saving for Retirement February 17, 2016
Anchin, Block & Anchin LLP Partner Richard Baum talks about saving for retirement.
- Baby Boomers & Retirement February 17, 2016
Anchin, Block & Anchin LLP Partner Richard Baum talks about Baby Boomers and Retirement.
- Examining & Updating Your Plan February 6, 2016
Anchin, Block & Anchin LLP Partner Richard Baum talks about examining and updating your plan.