Partner, Co-Leader of Anchin's Real Estate Group
Marc Wieder, CPA, is an accounting and audit partner at Anchin with over 30 years of experience servicing the accounting, business, and financial needs of real estate companies and their owners. He has extensive experience in the area of federal, state, local, personal and business taxes. As Co-Leader of the Real Estate Group at Anchin, Marc routinely helps to shed new light into the complex world of taxation, particularly as it relates to selling and acquiring real estate.
Marc has written numerous articles on various real estate topics published in Real Estate Weekly, Real Estate New York, Real Estate Journal, Shopping Center Business, and other publications. He frequently lectures for large groups and currently writes a monthly column for Real Estate Weekly. He served for 10 years on the advisory board to the University of Buffalo Department of Accounting and Law.
Marc was named among the 2015 Top 10 Public Accounting Professionals in New York by NAPAP. He is a member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA), the New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants (NYSSCPA), the Real Estate Board of New York (REBNY). Marc is on the boards of The Fashion Center Business Improvement District and Variety the Children’s Charity.
- Accounting and Auditing
- Cost Segregation
- Private Client
- Real Estate
- Opportunity zone investments bring bigger tax breaks if finalized this yearAugust 7, 2019
Marc Wieder, Co-Leader of the Real Estate Group at Anchin, is hearing from clients about their interest in the tax break.
- Insights on the Second Set of Qualified Opportunity Zone Regulations April 25, 2019
The long awaited second set of proposed regulations to the Qualified Opportunity Zone (QOZ) program were released on April 17, 2019. Unfortunately, per the U.S. Treasury, certain sections of the regulations can be relied upon by the taxpayer and some cannot.
- How Can a Cost Segregation Study under the TCJA Benefit You? January 15, 2019
Cost Segregation Studies have been around since the Hospital Corp of America case back in 1997. Many developers and property owners have taken advantage of this study to accelerate their tax deductions through depreciation on both their developments and acquisitions.
- Cost Segregation Studies Save Real Estate Even More Taxes Than Before, Thanks to TCJADecember 17, 2018
Since their introduction in 1997, cost segregation studies have allowed developers and property owners to accelerate their tax deductions through depreciation on both developments and acquisitions.
But with the implementation of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) in 2017, these studies are even more valuable now than they were before.
Originally published by Commercial Observer.
- Economic Opportunity Zones vs. 1031 ExchangesDecember 14, 2018
The new Economic Opportunity Zones (EOZ) approved as part of the larger Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) has been established to spur economic activity — and incentivize investors — in areas most in need. The program expands businesses’ ability to utilize a portion of the estimated $2.3 trillion of unrealized capital gains. If utilized effectively, this EOZ program could return far-reaching benefits to capital flows and incentivize increased activity for the real estate industry.
- Is Being Highly Leveraged a Good Thing?July 12, 2018
The 2018 Tax Act limits the deduction of business interest, therefore impacting the potential strategic value of being highly leveraged. According to the Act, beginning in years after 12/31/17, businesses will only be able to deduct interest expense up to 30% of its adjusted taxable income, plus its business interest income.
- A 1031 Post-Tax Reform UpdateApril 11, 2018
Real Estate Co-Leader, Marc Wieder, sat on The RealShare Lease Net Conference panel on 1031 Post-Tax Reform which provided pointers to consider with the new tax law.
- Q&A with Anchin’s Marc Wieder: Tax Reform’s CRE ImplicationsApril 2, 2018
The Tax Cut and Jobs Act signed into law by President Trump in December presents some new considerations that commercial real estate industry members will want to think through. Anchin’s Marc Wieder, who will give a special presentation on the tax law changes at Connect NY on April 17, offers insights here on the potential impact.
- Why Am I Paying Taxes If I Lost Money?April 2, 2018
Think about this concept: Based on tax reform, if you make money, you may pay less taxes, but if you lose money, you might pay more taxes. If your business is losing money, why would you pay more in taxes?
- Will you pay tax on 80% of your flow-through income? Maybe, Maybe NotApril 2, 2018
Many people who earn income from pass-through businesses think that under the 2018 Tax Act, they will only be paying tax on 80% of their flow-through income, since the Act provides for a deduction of 20% from this income. In fact, the least amount of the income you will pay tax on is 80% but you may in fact pay tax on 100%.
- Anchin Construction & Development Forum 2018February 15, 2018
The fourth annual Anchin Construction & Development Forum was held on February 15, 2018 at The New York Academy of Sciences.
- Amazon short list favors East Coast metrosJanuary 22, 2018
Robert Gilman and Marc Wieder, Co-Leaders of Anchin's Real Estate Group, remark upon Amazon’s widely anticipated short list of cities that made the cut for the next stage of its headquarters race.
- The Tax Reform: NY CRE Experts Weigh InDecember 27, 2017
Although obvious effects of the tax reform will be felt in filing 2019 returns, Marc Wieder and other real estate pros advise caution.
- Federal tax bill boosts New York real estate, hurts home ownershipDecember 19, 2017
Anchin partner Marc Wieder discusses the federal tax bill, and how the cap of the State and Local Tax (SALT) deduction at $10,000, combined with a new mortgage interest rate deduction could have a deeply negative impact on the housing markets in New York City, Long Island and Westchester County suburbs.
- Partnership Agreements and LLC Operating Agreements Need to Be Amended Now!December 4, 2017
Marc Wieder, Co-Leader of Anchin's Real Estate Group, encourages revising agreements to reflect new legislation.
- Space exploration: The solutions to land scarcityJune 9, 2017
Marc Wieder, Co-Practice Leader of Anchin's Real Estate Group, explains some of the latest development trends designed to combat this issue.
- Five Technology Innovations SharedFebruary 9, 2017
At the 2017 Anchin Construction & Development Forum, Mark Boekenheide of Hudson Yards, Jonathan Drescher of The Durst Organization, James Hannah of Bright Power, AJ Pires of Alloy, Peter Rosenthal of Savanna and Mitchel Simpler of Jaros, Baum & Bolles discussed the exciting and often risky topic of innovation as it relates to construction, design and development in and around NYC.
- Anchin Construction & Development ForumFebruary 9, 2017
The third annual Anchin Construction & Development Forum was held on February 9, 2017 at the TKP New York Conference Center. Hundreds of incredible, high-level professionals whose work greatly impacts the real estate, construction, architecture and engineering landscapes of the greater New York City area, came together to discuss trends, forecasts, ideas, innovations and other relevant topics.
- Supply Glut, Luxury Boom Are Jeopardizing Brooklyn's Value PlayDecember 5, 2016
On December 2, 2016, Co-Practice Leader of Anchin's Real Estate Industry Group, Marc Wieder, moderated a panel on the Retail & Hospitality Boom at Bisnow's 5th Annual Brooklyn State of the Market.
- Blame the Banks for All Those Boring Chain Stores Ruining Your City September 22, 2016
Marc Wieder, Co-Practice Leader of Anchin's Real Estate Group, explains that some landlords are more concerned with maintaining a high resale value than maintaining steady rent income at all costs.
- Should I invest in triple-net lease properties?August 10, 2016
Marc Wieder, Co-Practice Leader of Anchin's Real Estate Group, weighs the pros and cons of investing in a property with a triple-net lease.
- How to Buy Property With a Spouse, Friend or Business PartnerJuly 21, 2016
Marc Wieder, Co-Practice Leader of Anchin's Real Estate Group, points out that in the case of buying property with a spouse, it might be wise to place ownership in the name of the individual contributing the funds for purchase.
- Anchin's Future Forward 2020: What's Next for New York Real Estate & ConstructionFebruary 4, 2020
Save the Date!
- Cost Segregation GuideJanuary 1, 2014
What is Cost Segregation? As a result of a tax case, Hospital Corp. of America, et al. v. Commissioner, 109 TC 21, Code Sec. 168, significant
- Real Estate of Times Square 2013January 31, 2013
Photo Gallery for The Real Estate of Times Square 2013 held at The Harvard Club NYC
- Anchin Webinar: Tax Reform Discussion - How will the Bill Affect You? Get the Answers; Not Just the FactsJanuary 12, 2018
In this recorded webinar, Anchin assembled a panel of top professionals from varying viewpoints, including Real Estate, Financial Services, Professional Services, Technology, and Private Client to have a Q&A session on the effects of the new tax reform.