State and local tax obligations present some of the most complex challenges that businesses must navigate. Constantly changing regulations and differing compliance requirements across numerous jurisdictions can make staying current with your various tax obligations challenging.
Anchin’s State & Local Tax Group (SALT) and Tax Controversy Services Group have developed a special expertise in state and local tax issues and can work with you to help lower your tax exposure and remove the administrative burden of compliance.
We work with a wide range of businesses from entrepreneurial startups to large public corporations to design solutions to best fit their business needs. Anchin keeps current on ongoing changes in tax laws and regulations in a wide variety of jurisdictions so we are well-positioned to create tax saving opportunities for our clients.
- Strategic corporate refund/opportunity review
- Federal audit changes/RAR services
- Responsible Party Defense
- Review sales tax compliance - state by state
- Sales tax reverse audits/refund studies
- Review company’s internal controls and procedures for sales/use tax
- Tax examinations, filing protests and answering correspondence
- Voluntary disclosure filing
- Penalty abatement and negotiations
- Evaluate filing requirements and nexus issues
- Penalty and interest abatement negotiations
- Deferred payment arrangements
- Due diligence
- Mergers and acquisitions planning
- Compare and Contrast the House and Senate Tax BillsNovember 14, 2017
Many of the House and Senate provisions are similar. For example, both plans would repeal the alternative minimum tax and retain the charitable contribution deduction. However, there are a number of key differences. Here’s a look at some of the most significant.
- Senate GOP Releases Tax Reform PlanNovember 14, 2017
The Senate released its long awaited tax reform proposal. While many similarities exist with the House bill many differences also exist. Here are a few observations.
- Republicans Finally Release Tax ReformNovember 2, 2017
Moments ago, House Republicans released their proposal for tax reform. Similar to prior announcements, this document lacks much of the details necessary for proper evaluation
- Sales and Use Tax Exemptions Extended for Certain Property and Service Purchases for Leased Commercial Office Space in Lower ManhattanSeptember 19, 2017
Amendments have been made to the Tax Law that will extend tax incentive opportunities for businesses that locate or relocate offices in lower Manhattan.
- Match Group CEO Wins Tax Case By Arguing His Heart Was In Texas With His DogFebruary 19, 2017
Tax Partner, Barry Weisman, explains how Greg Blatt's dog was the evident tie-breaker in the decision.
- The Government is Holding Millions in Unclaimed Retirement MoneyFebruary 7, 2017
Barry Weisman, Tax Partner, illustrates how searches in the wrong state can leave large retirement accounts unclaimed.
- Avoid Letting Two Homes Become One Big Problem at Tax TimeJanuary 31, 2017
Having a second home can be a source of joy and relaxation, yet it can also increase stress, especially to future tax bills if households are not careful.
- Recent Statutory Changes to the New York State Metropolitan Commuter Transportation Mobility Tax (“MCTMT”)January 13, 2015
For tax years beginning on or after January 1, 2015, there are significant filing and payment changes to the MCTMT which will affect many unincorporated businesses and self-employed individuals.
- New York State Conforms to the Market Based Sourcing Approach for the Sourcing of Receipts from Services and the Use of IntangiblesJanuary 6, 2015
For tax years beginning on or after January 1, 2015, receipts from services and intangibles will be sourced to where the customer receives the economic benefit and not where the service was performed. This is more commonly known as "market-based" sourcing of receipts.
- Tax Ideas for a Booming IndustryMarch 20, 2017
The construction industry is alive and well in 2017. As a major force in New York and the greater US economy, it employs more than
- Don't Forget to Examine Your Company's State Research and Development CreditsJanuary 4, 2016
Yair Holtzman, Gleb Gorkhover, Michael Ganz and Matthew Bechtold of Anchin, Block & Anchin offer a state-by-state examination of the various state R&D credits and